January 11, 2005

Racial profiling? You make the call.

So, I’m trying to be vigilant. That’s how we’re supposed to help fight terrorism, right? Keep our eyes open, report anything suspicious or weird? Narc on our neighbors and whatnot? Actually, despite the Orwellian implications, I think it’s generally a good idea. People mostly tend to be oblivious to…you know, everything, and disinclined to act even if they do notice something. Although I’m a pretty observant person--I like to think I have a writer’s eye--I’m often guilty of the latter, mostly because I don’t trust my instincts, or I think I’m just being silly if I feel like something’s wrong. I’m trying not to do that, both for my sake and everyone else’s.

For example, last summer I was coming out of the post office in Manhattan--the huge one across from Penn Station--and I noticed two large--LARGE--suitcases sitting in the middle of the steps. They didn’t seem to belong to anyone. Mind you, there will people everywhere--it was lunch hour, and a beautiful day, so the steps were crowded with people sitting and eating as well as going in and out of the post office. But the bags were just sitting there, and no one seemed to notice. I stood there for a little bit to see if anyone would retrieve them. I thought about calling 911 but that definitely seemed excessive. I looked around for a cop but of course I didn’t see one. I remembered a few years back, when I was sitting in a Paris train station and a guy sitting near me left his briefcase for like one second to go grab a schedule or something, and immediately the case was surrounded by three or four assault-rifle-wielding soldiers. This was way before 9/11 or the Madrid bombing or anything like that. People love to make fun of the French and especially the French military, but let me tell you, they’re on top of shit.

Anyway, I went back into the post office and sort of wandered around, looking for someone I might tell, but again there were no cops, and there were long lines at all of the windows. I went back outside and looked at the bags again. By now they’d been there for at least 20 minutes, and it’s pretty hard to imagine someone legitimately leaving their possessions alone like that in the middle of New York friggin City. Now I was really going to call 911, but then I remembered that there was a police substation right across the street. So I walked to the corner to cross, and then I see this guy come running up out of the subway station, run over to the bags and grab them, then disappear back down into the subway. It was very odd. In any event, I decided not to tell the cops, and since the subway didn’t blow up, I guess it was all right.

That was my only experience with being on the front lines of the War Against Terror, until recently when I was returning from my trip back East for the holidays. I flew into and out of Newark, where things always seem a little bit more tense than they do at other airports. I mean, it’s where Flight 93 took off from, so I guess it’s understandable. And after having to remove every article of clothing that wasn’t in direct contact with my skin in order to get through security, and then passing a dude spread-eagled against the wall and surrounded by cops, I was feeling a little tense myself. So as I was waiting in line to board my flight, I glanced over at a row of empty seats and I noticed a book sitting there. It was softcover, about the size of a magazine, like the workbooks we used to use in school. It had a maroon cover, and yellow writing in Arabic. There was nobody anywhere near it.

Now, maybe it was a workbook. Maybe somebody was learning Arabic, something I’ve thought about doing myself, and accidentally left their book behind. Maybe any one of a number of other plausible, non-terror related reasons for the book being there was true. But you know how sometimes in a Bugs Bunny cartoon, when Bugs would get the better of someone, as he often did, they’d morph into a lollipop with the word “sucker” on it? I swear, as I stood there looking at that book, the Arabic letters on the cover morphed into Roman ones reading “How to Blow Up a Plane”. As I got closer to the woman who was examining boarding passes, I wondered if I should say anything. There was just something about that book sitting there by itself that struck me as odd. If someone had been reading it, I don’t think it would have been so. I reached the head of the line, and as I handed the woman my boarding pass, I leaned in and quietly mentioned the book. What freaked me out was when I said the word “Arabic”--she totally froze in the act of handing me my stub and her eyes widened. At that moment a security guard walked by, having just got off the plane, apparently, and the woman grabbed her and told me to tell her (the guard) what I’d just told her (the boarding-pass-taking woman). So I did, and got the same reaction, with the freezing and the eye-widening, when I said the word “Arabic”. I pointed out to the guard where I’d seen the book, and she went to look, but there was a crowd of people behind me waiting to get on the plane, so I couldn’t see what, if anything, happened. And since I didn’t hear any news reports of books being found at Newark Airport with the fingerprints of known terrorists on them, and an unknown but stylish and attractive blonde who saved a planeload of people, I guess it wasn’t anything.

The thing is, I felt all guilty about it after I got on the plane, because obviously I was working from the assumption that Arabs, or anything related to Arabs = terrorists. I like to think I’m above such base prejudice, but clearly I’m not. Actually I know I’m not, and I hate when something happens to prove it. I tried to assuage my guilt by pointing out to myself that there were three Middle Eastern-looking men sitting right in front of me on the plane, and I didn’t think anything of it, but the fact is that, although I didn’t recognize the language they were speaking, I did recognize it as an Indic and not a Semitic language. So am I a big creep? Am I just as bad as everyone else?

3 comments:

Amy said...

You went through all that trouble at Newark?

Granted, since 9/11/01, I've only been on two plane trips, but both were in and out of Newark. Unless you meant the overall feeling inside the terminal, I really couldn't notice any difference. Except the shoes. Everyone needs to take off the shoes. Because you can stow bombs in there. Other than the seemingly rigid orderly line up to check ID and boarding passes, and then of course the detectors and the shoes, everything else seemed perfectly normal, especially once I passed into the gate area.

Of course, that could be just me. I tend to be fairly adaptable.

Personally, I don't think your reaction to the book was any different than your reaction to the suitcases.

My mother, apparently, believes that I am three years old. As such, whenever I go (or, really, tell her I am going) into the city, or, actually, take any type of transportation, she always warns me to "be aware." Of suspicious persons and activities. Which she will intermittently clarify by pointing out that, yes, she does mean Arabs. Because as a filthy pinko liberal, I would, it seems, rather be politically correct than rightly discriminate against anyone who looks vaguely Arab. They're suspicious!

Anyway, all that said, I would probably have the same reaction to the book that you did. And so goaded and constantly reminded to be a good citizen, I probably would have mentioned it to a security official if one happened to be standing so near.

Did you get the vibe because the lettering on the book was in Arabic, or because it was oddly propped up and unattended in the middle of an airport ... and had lettering in Arabic? Would you still have reacted the same if, instead of an attended item, an Arabic person were sitting there? Sitting there holding the book? Sitting on the steps of the post office next to those suitcases? I don't think you would have. I think, if anything, and this might be all projection based on how I myself would feel in this situation, that the "Did I do wrong?" feeling comes from the reactions of the people you told. Obviously, to them, "Arabic" makes all the difference. Are they rabid ignorant racists? Maybe. If they are, are you like them because you pointed it out to them? Is their reaction, in fact, your true reaction? Probably not.

I hope some of that made a small amount of sense. It was confusing even before I wrote it out.

Anonymous said...

I can't really say without having been there. Just from your description, the suitcase thing was definitely weird, but I'm not exactly sure what seemed so odd about a (momentarily?) unattended book. The wide-eyed reactions to the word 'Arabic' are definitely right in line w/ Bush/Cheney America, though.

-nkl

Jenny said...

Two things I probably should have mentioned are that this was the day after New Year's, so the airport was very crowded, and it was an 8:00 AM flight and I had slept for about 90 minutes the night before. Both of these things added to my general mood of tension and weirdness.