January 12, 2005

Music alert: Shivaree

When I discover good music that I've not heard before, I like to share it with people. And what better forum than this? Um, well...maybe one that people actually read, but...you know. I also like it when people share good music with me, so fire away anytime you've got something.

Shivaree takes their name from an Anglicized French word meaning (according to Dictionary.com) "a noisy mock serenade for newlyweds", and their singer's name is Ambrosia Parsley, so how can you not love them? Imagine a whiskey-drunk Christina Amphlett possessed by the spirit of Billie Holiday and singing Kurt Weill songs at a dive bar in Buenos Aires. Their website calls them "strange, sultry, darkly comic, and constantly changing", and from what I've heard I agree. Listen to clips of all the songs from their new record at the site, or check out this one for a few full-length streams from a previous record.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary-Jane was actually into them when she was still in England. Their first album is pretty great; their second, not so much. The lead singer definitely has a unique voice (not that I have any freaking clue who Christina Amphlett is). Oh, and that was their song "Goodnight Moon" playing at the end of Kill Bill Vol. 2.

Actually, the wife should comment herself on this, if I can get her to, you know, actually do so (in fairness, she's had little time for personal computer use lately).

-nkl

Jenny said...

I didn't see Kill Bill Vol. 2 (or Vol. 1), or I'm sure I would have been aware of Shivaree earlier. What makes the first record better than the second?

Christina Amphlett was the singer for the Divinyls. I guess I ought to have mentioned that.

Anonymous said...

File this under 'Duh' but I just don't think the songs on the second album are all that good. (We've only listened to it a few times as the wife shares my opinion on this.)

-nkl