February 25, 2009

Meme time: Wikipedia names your band

The title above is a link to an item on the A.V. Club blog that presents the following meme:
Here's a totally random way to make your new random band's new random album cover. Post one! Go to “Wikipedia.” Hit “random” and the first article you get is the name of your band. Then go to “Random Quotations” and the last four or five words of the very last quote of the page is the title of your first album. Then, go to Flickr and click on “Explore the Last Seven Days” and the third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.

If you're like me, this sounds like a totally fun way to kill an hour at work when your boss is out of town and half the office is out sick not that I would ever do that.

So here's my cover, put together totally on my own time I assure you:


In my imagination, boat-billed heron (we were too cool for majuscule letters) was a No Wave band living in Alphabet City in the early 1980s. We played some killer shows at ABC No Rio, put out contemplate what is happening in 1982, and were asked by Thurston Moore personally to open for Sonic Youth on the Confusion Is Sex tour, but tragically our lead singer was found frozen to death in his squat just a few days before the tour was to start.

Did you know that the boat-billed heron is an atypical member of the heron family? That's vital, because I would never have a band named after a typical heron. They're so fucking typical, you know?

I have to tell you that the article on the boat-billed heron was actually the third random article I clicked on, because, totally improbably, the first two were actual musical acts. Also, I cheated on the photo, because my first one was a lovely shot of a mourning dove among spring blossoms, and I didn't feel right about using it. Mourning doves are my favorite birds, and I feel like I have a spiritual connection with them. Don't judge me. So I refreshed the page to get the photo above, but I'm glad I did, because how well does it work with that title?

1 comment:

Amy said...

This is another one I've been meaning to do. "Do" meaning "post about on blog."

Because I've already done it more than a few times. And lost several afternoons making my own fun.