September 16, 2005

More sentences

Riffing off the last list, I made another one last night. This one is the Top 5 Opening Lines of My Favorite Literary Works. This is hardly an exhaustive accounting of my favorite books, of course, just the ones whose opening lines came into my head as I was making the list. I’m going to leave the attributions out and post them in a reply so you can have fun trying to identify them. Or, you know, not. But I would have fun doing that.

Top 5 Opening Lines of My Favorite Literary Works

A. “The primroses were over.”

B. “124 was spiteful.”

C. “Aujourd’hui, maman est morte.”

D. “There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.”

E. “Lily, the caretaker’s daughter, was literally run off her feet.”

And a special bonus line!

F. "'A week,' said Wren sadly."

3 comments:

Jenny said...

A. Richard Adams, Watership Down

B. Toni Morrison, Beloved

C. Albert Camus, L'étranger

D. Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

E. James Joyce, "The Dead"

F. Jenny Taylor, Wren, Robin, Raven (unfinished YA novel)

Amy said...

I knew A. and B., despite having read neither of those books. I did not know E., despite having read that book.

Of this list I would be most interested in perusing F.! How can such a thing be accomplished?

Jenny said...

Oh, Amy dear...I'm afraid such a thing cannot be accomplished. It was 15 years ago that I quit working on that manuscript, after several people told me that it "reminded [them] of Tolkien." This despite the fact that at the time I had never read Tolkien, and that having done so since I can see that the comparison was unwarranted.

Kirk, you must read Beloved. I think every American should read it. It's a difficult read--I had to read it twice just to begin to understand it--but worth it.