August 8, 2005

In this case, the three names thing makes sense.

Since I know that among my vast readership are a number of Once & Again fans, I thought I’d mention this: I was puttering around the internets on my lunch break, as I often do, and I came across this article on MSNBC.com about Evan Rachel Wood, which posits that she may be “America’s Next Great Actress.” It caught my eye because I just watched The Upside of Anger this weekend, in which she co-stars with a number of other notable young female actors, not to mention the formidable Joan Allen, and it reminded me of how much I like her and how easily she stands out even among very talented ensembles. (Verdict on the movie: great acting, yes; some interesting writing but also some clichés; weird, jarring ending; overall, left me kind of...meh.)

Of course Evan was a regular on the late great O&A, where her baby-dyke-coming-out story was handled better than I’ve ever seen anywhere, both by the writers and by her, and where I first noticed her--her pale ethereality, especially set against her darker, earthier castmates, made it hard not to. She was the standout among acting standouts in the otherwise overwrought Thirteen, and, as I said, she continued to shine in The Upside of Anger. So, I don’t know if she’s America’s Next Great Actress, but I’m certainly looking forward to her future projects.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I've been enamored of her since Practical Magic.

... Which I've now just admitted to watching. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Have I mentioned that I have the first season dvd's for Once & Again? Well, I do. (As far as I know, they haven't released the second season yet; if/when they do, I'm there.) That show has really stayed w/ me since it ended, to the point that it's probably one of my five fav. shows ever.

Anyway, Julia Whelan & Marin Hinckle (btw, I share a birthday w/ the latter) were my favorites among the cast, but really they were all good. Like Mary-Jane said, we just saw a preview for a new movie Ms. Wood stars in; it looks promising, a bit of Saved, a bit of Heathers, & a bit of Election. And with black hair, I totally didn't recognize her until the wife pointed her out.

Thanks for the link, I'll go check that out.

-nkl